Thursday, March 17, 2011

Internet Explorer 9 - an improvement, but not impressive

I've been a fan of some of the recent things Microsoft has pulled off, doing a 180 in many areas where they were failing. However, IE9 just isn't good enough (for me).

As for new features, such as pinning a shortcut to a web site to the taskbar. Big whoop ;p. I mean, seriously, I could care less about the ability to do that. We've been able to do that for a while now, with a couple clicks.. unless I'm wrong. Perhaps the integration has been improved, and maybe now you get a continuous view of the web-site. I don't know. I didn't play with it much, but saw nothing impressive in it.

The browser itself is cleaned up, slimmer profile - so they did have an improvement there. The improved extension management features added in v8 really helped with the toolbar problems people started having because of these corporations bundling toolbars in everything (something we at Bitsum Technologies NEVER do).

So, an improvement, but not as much as I'd hoped... There is some improved CSS3 support, which is good. I've since added rounded corner support to IE (previously only existed for Chrome and Firefox), but now works in all common browsers, including Opera. It can be achieved via the simple CSS properties below (yes, you have to repeat it for each browser, *sigh*).
 -webkit-border-radius: 10px;
 -moz-border-radius: 10px;    
 -khtml-border-radius: 10px;
 border-radius: 10px;
Now, it possible that IE9 properly supports border-radius, which means the browser properly supports the new CSS3 rounded corners as required by the official specification. I'll have to check. Anyway, as you can see, *THAT* is the final CSS3 property that is supposed to be supported. I'm not sure what the issue is with the prefixing, other than to say they must fail to support it fully in some way, or this was a temporary kludge (though a rather long temporary kludge if so).

No comments:

Post a Comment