Sunday, March 13, 2011

Getting rid of hiberfil.sys the easy way

So a while back I decided to jump into the SSD experience, something that is the future, but not *quite* ready yet. My small SSD quickly was filled with OS files and I barely make it by. So, to install a new service pack, I've got to have this huge hiberfil.sys deleted. Manual direct deletion isn't possible, so you gotta do it another way.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/920730

Their automated tools didn't work for me, but what did work was opening a command prompt (cmd.exe) with Administrative rights and running "powercfg.exe /hibernate off". BAM just like that there's me some disk space. Now, this does turn off Hibernation support, so turn it back on if that's something you need (e.g. for your UPS).

No comments:

Post a Comment