Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Google Chrome

Finally Chrome has the long awaited (polished) extension support, whohoo! I have to say Google has done a great job with this browser. Replacing the window title bar with the tab toolbar was a great innovation, and really improved the look and consistency of the look across platforms. Of course, it also optimized the vertical space, which is more valuable than horizontal space on wide screens. Anyway, the new plug-in support allows for the pet features of users to be integrated in.

For me, this proper plug-in support was the straw that broke the camel's back on the case of Firefox. Firefox may have many more extensions and a more robust plug-in framework, but that is of no concern to my needs.

I'm now content with Chrome in every way. I especially like the unique (for Windows applications anyway) way it forks its process, making each tab a separate Windows process. It then lowers the priority class of processes hosting background tabs, and raises them when they are restored to the foreground -- much like the ProBalance feature of Process Lasso (shameless plug) --. This helps give the CPU scheduler 'hints' as to which process is the most important. Of course, for single process browsers like Firefox and IE, they probably lower the thread priority of background tabs as well.. so, same difference *except* when multiple Windows (re: not tabs) are open causing multiple instances of Firefox or IE, then they aren't quite as 'smart' in the dynamic priority adjustments. Naturally, it is also innovative for the simple reason that each tab is completely isolated, allowing a single tab to crash without affecting the others.

Lastly, general usability is just smooth and simple.

Thumbs up from me. They had an early launch and have since made incremental improvements to bring this browser up to #1 in my book.

As for privacy discussions -- to me, that's another subject. Its more inherent with the entire web itself than any particular browser. For that reason, I am ok with Chrome. If I ever see egregious privacy violations not ALSO found in other web browsers, then I would have some concerns. That said, its no different (for me) than IE would be, since I'm persistently logged into Google, allowing them to track every search I make. Someone could anyway, no matter what search engine. If I went to inconveniences, I could hide my searches, but who has the time? I do keep in mind, for every search, that is is permanently recorded somewhere. Normally, I just 'don't care'. That's me, searching for whatever. If someone doesn't like it, screw them. If your country is ever a tyranny, then maybe you have reason to worry. Mine (the USA) isn't.. at least not yet. I sure hope it isn't anyway, lol. .... Also, there is the 'private browsing mode' that should negate any concerns of Google Chrome tracking your activities, but still leaves you vulnerable to the inherent privacy concerns of the web as a whole. Either way, ONLINE PRIVACY DEBATES are NOT CHROME .

Also consider, IE + third-party toolbars (commonly distributed in totally unrelated applications) are perhaps the MOST egregious privacy violation out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment