Monday, January 7, 2013

The Software Review Business or Pay or Get Bad Reviews?

The Software Review Business
or Pay or Get Bad Reviews?

I received an email (then two more telling me to 'think about it' and 'think more about it') ... What follows is what I believe a pretty clear extortion attempt, only thinly veiled.

Currently i no longer post to GOTD. (Persona non grata) and normally i would not
directly contact a vendor (tho, i'm considering changing this - i may start selling my
opinions/advice...)  but in your case i'm going to make the effort. ((Half for "free" and
the other 'half' will cost you a thousand dollars - but don't fret i don't even have my
PayPal set up yet...))

free half:

After several disappointing things i have removed your product. After several
unacceptable things i have posted this email. The next time you present on GOTD i
will make every effort to dissuade others from installing your product.
(ps btw: these are valid complaints that would warrant attention from a
concerned vendor - need i say less?)

paid half:

(will be sent upon receipt of payment.)


This is my personal interpretation of this email. I do not claim that I am correct in this interpretation. Judge for yourself. Fortunately I'm too broke to be extorted, so the decision is pretty easy. I thank all those who help defend my software against attacks like this. Now we know that software reviews have turned into a business. 

If someone is extorting negative reviews, they are surely selling positive reviews! That makes this the latest online business of manipulation.

I long ago proposed that download sites use more means to verify posters, ala Angie's List. Let's hope they do. I'm all for real reviews, even if they aren't all flattering.

No comments:

Post a Comment