Friday, June 17, 2011

PHP for Visual Studio 2010

After experimenting with numerous small text editors, I found that nothing beats Visual Studio 2010 for source code editing. Yes, it is a bit large, but very capable. Most freeware and shareware was either buggy, had certain missing features or annoyances, or was too expensive.

So, I needed to simply add PHP syntax highlighting to Visual Studio 2010. While there is a shareware project called VS.PHP that looks pretty good, and may add syntax highlighting, I didn't want to pay $99 for it in 30 days. Searching further, I found the free, open source, offering Phalanger. While this actually has many more capabilities than simply adding PHP syntax highlighting to VS2010, I don't need those so won't get into them.

The bottom line is that if you work with PHP and VS2010, Phalanger is exactly what you need!

5 comments:

  1. Wow, that is cool. Thank's for the tip :)

    BTW: do you know that does this work on Express Edition? I tried to look but didn't find? I have Visual Studio Express because i can't afford full version and ATM i don't have need for full version.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do not know for sure, but I would guess it does. I agree that Visual Studio, and MSDN subscriptions, are waaayy too expensive. Microsoft should give this away for free.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Express editions are not supported, however you can install it into free VS2010 Shell (Integrated) (http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=115)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Currently there is standalone PHP integration for Visual Studio 2010 and VS11! http://visualstudiogallery.msdn.microsoft.com/6eb51f05-ef01-4513-ac83-4c5f50c95fb5

    If you are not interested in installing Phalanger (which is compiler of PHP for .NET) I would recommend this simpler extension just for PHP coding

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the tip Jakub ;). Indeed, in my case, that is the preferred solution.

    ReplyDelete