Monday, November 8, 2010

Samsung Captivate - Android 2.2 Froyo Update [unofficial]

After dealing with some phone power-off problems, I decided to install the unofficial 2.2 (Froyo) update of Andoid. The improvements are everywhere, and great. Little things. For example, the SWYPE keyboard now allows you to type one character at a time without showing the word completion popup box (so it functions just like the standard keyboard if you do decide to type one char at a time). Little things all over are simply better.

For anyone who asks how to do this, that's not my game. I can say it was real easy. Thanks to those XDA guys for that. No rooting of your phone is needed..

I did have trouble with the PayPal app since the Froyo unofficial update is apparently non-US and the PayPal app is set to only be allowed in the US. Despite me being in the US, etc.. I couldn't access it in the Market. Side note: Do not download any other 'PayPal' application from the Market unless it is the real thing. I noticed a bunch of third-party ones, but there is no way I'd trust them with my PayPal account. The same goes for other third-party applications that may get access to your sensitive data. Be careful.

Anyway, I side-loaded the PayPal application and now all is good. I guess probably tomorrow AT&T will finally publish their own update, knowing my luck ;p.

Seriously, this is a great update. Bigger than I thought really.

No comments:

Post a Comment